phc-k8 kernel patch

If you have trouble with PHC you can ask and hope for help here.
geos_one

phc-k8 kernel patch

Post by geos_one » Tue 19. May 2009, 00:26

phc-k8 kernel patches

these patches add's the phc mods to the powernow-k8 sources of the respective kernel

http://ftp.mars.arge.at/phc-k8/linux-ph ... 6.30.patch
http://ftp.mars.arge.at/phc-k8/linux-ph ... 6.29.patch

for older versions look at
http://ftp.mars.arge.at/phc-k8/

happy using

Mario
Last edited by geos_one on Sun 28. Jun 2009, 16:38, edited 4 times in total.

DavidG

Re: phc-k8 kernel patch request

Post by DavidG » Tue 19. May 2009, 10:20

I'll be uploading a newer version of the patch one of these days, but it that will be an out-of-tree package as well. It will however support DKMS (Dynamic Kernel Make System) that will automatically build the phc-k8 module everytime you install a kernel, at least on Linux distributions that support it. It seems however that Gentoo is maybe the *only* distribution that does not have a (decent) DKMS package...

I'm willing to look into it for you, but you may be able to use "module-rebuild" on Gentoo for now, according to this thread:
http://www.linux-phc.org/forum/viewtopi ... 5&start=20

Actually, I will be focussing first on a phc-k8 patch that will support the 10h and 11h processor family (Phenom processors/"Puma" mobile Turions). After that I'll look into this. It's a bit of a pain to maintain a module across the different kernel versions in-tree. I prefer one off-tree module with some "#if LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(2,6,29)" in it to work around some kernel-version changes, instead of three different patches for three different kernel versions, etc.
A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain -- R. Frost

geos_one

Post by geos_one » Tue 19. May 2009, 12:02

gentoo don't have so called prebuild packages everything is build from the sources by the user
even the kernel
so patches to the kernel are common to the gentoo users
that was the reason for the request
the provided phc-k8.* cant replace the powernow-k8.*

i want to avoid the out of tree build
but as long i can replace the powernow-k8.* with some small mods
change .name correct #include

it's ok

DavidG

Post by DavidG » Tue 19. May 2009, 13:33

geos_one wrote:i want to avoid the out of tree build
That will nearly impossible if you want to use the binary Nvidia/Ati drivers... (Which one will have to if they want to save some extra Watts, fglrx saves me about 15W or 1 extra hour on battery over radeonhd.)

I wasn't talking about prebuild packages (although Gentoo has them). The portage system is a packaging system, you can install/uninstall anything you build. There's no DKMS ebuild available in the Gentoo repository. There is a DKMS ebuild that is still pending for Gentoo. But my experience with Gentoo is that ebuilds from others are hardly ever accepted by the Gentoo regime...
A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain -- R. Frost

geos_one

Post by geos_one » Tue 19. May 2009, 13:54

DavidG wrote: That will nearly impossible if you want to use the binary Nvidia/Ati drivers... (Which one will have to if they want to save some extra Watts, fglrx saves me about 15W or 1 extra hour on battery over radeonhd.)
i would use if they work on my laptop the only thing its a crasching driver ..... after 4 months of fighting with this driver i am done

but i hope this will solve my problem:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... &px=NzA2Mw
DavidG wrote: But my experience with Gentoo is that ebuilds from others are hardly ever accepted by the Gentoo regime...
yes you are right but it is still the linux that fits me best

back to the phc-k8
is it possiblle to replace the inkernel powernow-k8 with your version (with some small mods)

DavidG

Post by DavidG » Tue 19. May 2009, 14:31

You might be successful if you rename the module to powernow-k8.[ch] and replace all occurrences of "phc-k8" to "powernow-k8" in these files...

The proper way to do that would be to create your own kernel ebuild with proper patches against vanilla or whatever kernel flavor you're patching against... ;)

geos_one

Post by geos_one » Tue 19. May 2009, 14:45

DavidG wrote:You might be successful if you rename the module to powernow-k8.[ch] and replace all occurrences of "phc-k8" to "powernow-k8" in these files...

The proper way to do that would be to create your own kernel ebuild with proper patches against vanilla or whatever kernel flavor you're patching against... ;)
yes thats the plan add the resulting patch to my kernel patchset
so it would work.

thx for the conversation.
and thx for your work on the patch

Mario

DavidG

Post by DavidG » Tue 19. May 2009, 15:04

When I have more time, I'll create a patch that can be installed alongside with the powernow-k8 module, that's what I'd prefer... (And both can then be build as module, or either one of them exclusively as built-in)

geos_one

Post by geos_one » Tue 19. May 2009, 15:09

DavidG wrote:When I have more time, I'll create a patch that can be installed alongside with the powernow-k8 module, that's what I'd prefer... (And both can then be build as module, or either one of them exclusively as built-in)
if you dont get the time i am willing to do the job with creating the patches for the differen kernel versions (if its ok for you)

DavidG

Post by DavidG » Tue 19. May 2009, 15:35

Sure, that's fine with me, would be great if you could do that. Then I can focus just on the driver.

By the way, there may be some tweak you could add for the 2.6.29 kernel, there's been some changes in the powernow-k8 since 2.6.28. (There have also been some minor changes in 2.6.28, but they are only important if you manage to connect >255 AMD processor cores which is technically impossible.)