PPA troubles

If you have trouble with PHC you can ask and hope for help here.
Spindoctor

PPA troubles

Post by Spindoctor » Sat 2. May 2009, 13:11

Hi!

I just wanted to give linux-phc a try on my Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 2x 2.53GHz with Ubuntu 9.04. The installation worked fine, but now my system doesn't boot anymore and Grub gives me:

Code: Select all

Booting 'Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.28-11-generic'

root 79f55326-3e58-45be-8d66-f60ff172c25b

Error 11: Unrecognized device string

press any key to continue
Is this caused by a mistake in grub or in the updated kernel?
And how can I fix it?

Thank you!

Spindoctor

the-fallen
Administrator

Re: PPA troubles

Post by the-fallen » Sat 2. May 2009, 16:41

Hmm... strange.

Do you have other Kernels on your System?
Do they boot?

I am not sure if the ppa is the reason for that issue but it might be.

Spindoctor

Post by Spindoctor » Sat 2. May 2009, 18:51

I don't have other kernels installed, just windows on another partition (it does boot).

I just setup my system a few days ago on a completely clean partition.

Besides I'm sure that the Kernel change caused the problem as I did nothing in this session than adding the ppa, installing the ppa-debs and rebooting.

Still it could be a problem with an incorrect menu.lst or with ppa itself. Would I have to make any changes in menu.lst after installing the ppa-debs?

Otherwise, how can I undo the kernel change?

Thank you,

Spindoctor

the-fallen
Administrator

Post by the-fallen » Sat 2. May 2009, 19:19

Sounds like it really is a problem with the ppa Kernel.

I am really sorry :(
I can not imagine what went wrong. I tested this kernel (or one of it's precessors) a while ago but the ppa is not official for now because we do not know how to set other kernel versions so the Kernel will not longer replace the ubuntu one. Thats what happened to you and that's why you have no spare kernel now.

You said that you installed your distribution freshly?
If there is no reason to rescue your current system it would be much easier to you to simply reinstall it.

Otherwise you need to boot with a rescue-cd to a rescue-console, chmod to your systems root and install an ubuntu kernel using apt (all text-based).

Spindoctor

Post by Spindoctor » Sun 3. May 2009, 15:07

Well it's not your fault - I knew that it was possible that things could go wrong.

Still, I would prefer keeping the system and repairing it instead of reinstalling everything.

I started this thread in the german ubuntu forum.

I would appreciate help very much.

the-fallen
Administrator

Post by the-fallen » Sun 3. May 2009, 22:14

Just ask them how to replace the kernel with the ubuntu default one by using the rescue-mode of the ubuntu CD.
If you can rescue your system you can compile your own kernel (maybe a 2.6.30 if you like) without those problems.

If you need help with phc and you can not express yourself in English you may also ask me in german or try to catch me in our IRC channel. :)

I hope you can rescue your system. Shouldn't be very hard.

Spindoctor

Post by Spindoctor » Sun 3. May 2009, 23:27

thank you!

I found out myself how to repair the kernel in rescue mode (can be seen in the link I posted below, but just in german), but that didn't help.

Now a moderator had the idea that gfxboot (I use it instead of the ordinary grub) is to blame... we will see...

still, reinstalling would be a fast and easy solution, but repairing the system would make me feel better ;-)

Spindoctor

Post by Spindoctor » Mon 4. May 2009, 00:27

in fact the problem was caused by interferences between gfxboot and the kernel update...

still I feel puzzled what was exactly caused this problem...

If anyone could answer this question... ?

Thank you anyway!