Can't get patched module to load at startup

If you have trouble with PHC you can ask and hope for help here.
itsmeallstar

Can't get patched module to load at startup

Post by itsmeallstar » Mon 20. Apr 2009, 06:09

I am on Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04, and have rebuilt my kernel (v. 2.6.28.9) and patched it according to the installation guide.

I can install the module manually

Code: Select all

root@computer:/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.28# insmod arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko
root@computer:/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.28# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/phc_controls
10:45 9:37 6:23 136:15 
Then I tried to move it into the kernel source directory using:

#/ cp arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/ 
However on reboot when I try to run phc_controls it gives me nothing, but the acpi-cpufreq.ko file is still in the kernel source directory. I then have to install the module manually again, and I will get an output from phc_controls.

Does anyone know the solution to get my module to run at startup?

I don't know if its an related issue but in phctool I can lower my voltage to 0.7125V without the system crashing (on windows i can only go down to 0.9375V), so I suspect my module is not installing properly.

Thanks in advance for your help!

the-fallen
Administrator

Re: Can't get patched module to load at startup

Post by the-fallen » Mon 20. Apr 2009, 07:08

After you reboot, is there NO acpi-cpufreq loaded or is there only the unpatched acpi-cpufreq loaded?

itsmeallstar

Post by itsmeallstar » Mon 20. Apr 2009, 10:04

No acpi-cpufreq is loaded.

I do:

lsmod | grep acpi_cpufreq 
and get no response.

(Is this the right way to check? Sorry I'm new to Linux)

the-fallen
Administrator

Post by the-fallen » Mon 20. Apr 2009, 18:20

Yes it is the correct way to check that.

Is there a reason why you did not used the offtree-package then? (or did you and I just misunderstood your posting?)

How ever. There could be some reasons why your module is not loaded. You could try to check "dmesg" output for some errors.

You can also FORCE to load this module on computer start-up by writing "acpi-cpufreq" in a new line to /etc/modules