AMD RM-70

If you have trouble with PHC you can ask and hope for help here.
obino
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

AMD RM-70

Post by obino » Sun 8. Feb 2009, 03:26

Hello,

first of all thanks for your work! I do use it for a Lenovo X200 and ti works brilliantly: lower the temperature quite a bit and the fan is rarely coming up.

I just got a tx2500z which has a AMD RM-70 on it. I was hoping the AMD module you have would work for it, but it looks like is one of the new CPUs not supported. Is there any chance you'll add support to it? If not, do you know of any other way to undervolt it?

thanks!

the-fallen
Administrator
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: AMD RM-70

Post by the-fallen » Sun 8. Feb 2009, 11:44

Hey, glad to hear that everything works fine on your Lenovo.

With your AMD CPU I have no clue what's the matter but I will notice the developer (DavidG) about your posting.

Maybe he will need some details about your system (Kernel, what you have done, are there any phc files, anything noticeable in dmesg, etc).

I hope we can help you.

DavidG

Post by DavidG » Sun 8. Feb 2009, 22:45

Unfortunately AMD uses a different strategy for frequency/voltage scaling on the Phenom processors and the newer Turions such as the RM70, RM72, ZM80, etcetera. At the moment, none of these are supported by the PHC AMD driver...

Note that for Windows, the Rightmark CPU Clock Utility doesn't support them either, there's only an AMD Overdrive Utility available. That one immediately crashes my system, so it will be very hard for me to develop a working driver.
It may be possible to do so in the future, since AMD is able to do it, but it will take a lot of work and a completely different driver, but I would like to write it sometime...
A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain -- R. Frost

obino

Post by obino » Mon 9. Feb 2009, 10:45

I was afraid about that. There is a windows application (which I haven't tried since I don't use windows) which I found in forum.tabletpcreview.com http://sourceforge.net/projects/pumastatectrl/ which should work on the puma platform. There is a thread about it (http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=21877) in case you are interested.

In case you want to attemp something, and you need tester, let me know: I'm more than happy to crash the machine testing new modules :)

thanks!

DavidG

Post by DavidG » Mon 9. Feb 2009, 14:21

Thanks, I will definitely take a look at that!

DavidG

Post by DavidG » Tue 19. May 2009, 10:25

FYI, I'm already working on a AMD processor family 10h/11h module, such as the Turion RM-70 processor.

First, one of these days I will upload my latest phc-k8 patch, and after that I might release an alpha version that supports your processor... Stay tuned!
A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain -- R. Frost

the-fallen
Administrator

Post by the-fallen » Tue 19. May 2009, 17:56

It is good and I am happy to hear you still can find some time for the patch.
Since there are many requests to your amd patch I am sure the new patches will hit the masses well.

obino

Post by obino » Sat 23. May 2009, 01:37

Excellent news! Thank you for working on it! And my offer to be an alpha tester (in case you need it) is always valid.

geos_one

Post by geos_one » Wed 27. May 2009, 22:15

any news on the new driver for the RM/ZM-* cpu

my new laptop is in need for this driver (MD Turion(tm) X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-86) :D

thx
Mario

DavidG

Post by DavidG » Wed 27. May 2009, 23:33

geos_one wrote:any news on the new driver for the RM/ZM-* cpu
Hey, is been only a few days, and last month I became father for the second time... So even though I'm not sleeping that much, it doesn't mean I spend a lot of time on the new driver modifications... ;)

But I'm working on it, I'll upload a small python script (a bit like read_msr) that I would like you to run and report the feedback.. I'll upload that ASAP.