empty phc_* files with Intel Core 2 Quad 6600

If you have trouble with PHC you can ask and hope for help here.
the-fallen
Administrator
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: empty phc_* files with Intel Core 2 Quad 6600

Post by the-fallen » Mon 19. Jan 2009, 19:21

Interesting , yes, in some way.

This more or less proves what I had in mind with my first answer. Your CPU is not able to step speed like mobile CPUs do. You can read that the highest and lowest VID and FID is not different. The two frequencies you can set are for "working" and "idling" and depends on the C-State I think ... somewhat like the old Pentium4 CPUs.

Linux-PHC takes its values from the System ... in your case your system (in detail ACPI) does not provide any information and that is why the files are empty.

But that's not a problem. Speed-stepping and voltage-stepping does not make much sense for a desktop CPU because there is no battery and you can install a good ventilation and stepping between speeds takes time so you would have more disadvantages than advantages on a desktop computer.

neosmatrix
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by neosmatrix » Tue 27. Jan 2009, 21:24

Current VID: 27
Current FID: 6
Target VID: 27
Target FID: 6
Highest VID: 34
Highest FID: 9
Lowest VID: 34
Lowest FID: 9

I am wondering why Current VID and FID are lower than Highest and lowest.

KosmiK

Post by KosmiK » Sun 28. Jun 2009, 01:37

Hi. (sorry for my English :lol: )
About Q6600.

I dont know how - but GA-P35-DS3R can undevolting by GIGABYTE util "Dynamic Energy Saver".
Currently, under Windows 7 its working very well (same as Vista and XP).
According to CPU-Z, cpu voltage really going down (around 1.025v).
some CPU temp util show me huge temperature down on all CPU's (up to 15-20 C*) when i turn on energe saver on.
So, it possible.
Question - is this possible at linux? :cry: :?:

the-fallen
Administrator

Post by the-fallen » Sun 28. Jun 2009, 09:50

Your english is not worse than mine :)

Can you try to use tools like NHC or Rightmark's CPUClock utility to undervolt the CPU instead of the tool shipped with the board?
If they also can do that then we should be possible to do that, too.

If not then the board provides an unique interface to the piece of home-brewed software that directly sets voltage to the voltage regulators on the board.
Such things had been there before on those "overclocker-boards" that can set slightly higher voltages to keep the CPU stable on overclocked frequencies. For example on the old Pentium 3 and Pentium4 Boards....