Trouble with PHC kernel (Ubuntu11.04) (and Xubuntu12.04)

If you have trouble with PHC you can ask and hope for help here.
droptop

Trouble with PHC kernel (Ubuntu11.04) (and Xubuntu12.04)

Post by droptop » Sat 19. Jan 2013, 07:17

Running into a few stumbling blocks using the external tutorial. I'm doing the install on Xubuntu 12.04, which is running into one problem, and Ubuntu 11.04, running into both problems..

The first trip-up is the Intel driver found on these forums. Extracting it to either /tmp or /home/user, entering the created directory, I execute this (which exits with a debian/rules error)

Code: Select all

make dkms_mkdeb
exits error.
I can install the driver with this

make
make install
Then next issue is the GUI. In my Pentium-M (715) machine with Ubuntu 11.04, running install.sh and binding the files to /usr/bin, running (sudo) phctool in a terminal, results in nothing. Even rebooting into the PHC kernel, the same errors pop up. Scratching my head about what I could be missing.

In Xubuntu 12.04, on an Intel Core1 Duo laptop, because I used "sudo make dkms_install" instead of "make dkms_mkdeb", I cannot analyze my CPUs with PHCtool. The analysis tab is filled with "n/a" values. (I'm 90% positive the new VID levels work -- the fan no longer kicks on when the system idles.)

I have the last updates (for 11.04, it's kernel 2.6.38-16-generic compared to PHC's 2.6.36-11; for 12.04, it's kernel 3.2.0-35 to PHC's 3.2.0-25), and already have gtk2-engines-pixbuf, python-gtk2-dev, dkms and debhelper.

lio

Re: Trouble with PHC kernel (Ubuntu11.04) (and Xubuntu12.04)

Post by lio » Sun 20. Jan 2013, 18:11

droptop wrote:The first trip-up is the Intel driver found on these forums. Extracting it to either /tmp or /home/user, entering the created directory, I execute this (which exits with a debian/rules error)
Can you post the full, exact output of make dkms_mkdeb?

Lio

droptop

Post by droptop » Tue 29. Jan 2013, 08:40

Do you want the results from the successful install without the PHCtool Analysis tab (12.04) or the unsuccessful one (11.04)?

From the 12.04 install:

:~/phc-intel-pack-rev7$ make dkms_mkdeb

Creating symlink /home/~/phc-intel-pack-rev7/.dkms/phc-intel/0.3.2/source ->
                 /home/~/phc-intel-pack-rev7/.dkms//usr/src//phc-intel-0.3.2

DKMS: add completed.
Using /etc/dkms/template-dkms-mkdeb
copying template...
modifying debian/changelog...
modifying debian/compat...
modifying debian/control...
modifying debian/copyright...
modifying debian/dirs...
modifying debian/postinst...
modifying debian/prerm...
modifying debian/README.Debian...
modifying debian/rules...
copying legacy postinstall template...
Copying source tree...
Building binary package... dpkg-source --before-build phc-intel-dkms-0.3.2
 fakeroot debian/rules clean
/usr/bin/fakeroot: line 178: debian/rules: Permission denied
dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules clean gave error exit status 126
(bad exit status: 126)
Error! There was a problem creating your deb.
make: *** [dkms_mkdeb] Error 7
The error for the 11.04 is exactly the same, except for this line:

/usr/bin/fakeroot: line 178: debian/rules: Permission denied
The error is on line 176.

(As a side note, perhaps it is because of the recent lack of space, but this time trying to install PHC on 11.04 results in an inability to enter Gnome/Xwin. The pass/fail messages remain on-screen (ClamAV and BatteryInfo are the only ones to FAIL), so I must ALT-CTRL shift to tty1 and perform the make. (And then the reboot.)

droptop

Post by droptop » Sun 10. Feb 2013, 17:46

Well, I discovered why my 11.04 wasn't installing right -- the PPA didn't download the header file. Once that was downlaoded, the installation ran into the same issues with make dkms_mkdeb.

Reading the readme file, only one suggestion did work:

sudo make dkms_install
Now I've got the PHC kernel and PHCtool up in 11.04, but I'm still running into an Analysis tab filled with n/a in PHCtool v0.5.2-3.

The PHCtool info tab still says that VCCcalculation is available, PHCextensions are avilable, Throttling and MSR aren't (which explains the blank Throttling tab). Analysis of the CPU indicates "n/a" for taget VID, target Vcc, reached VID, reached Vcc.

Small quirk for undervolting I suppose.