Patch appears to do nothing

If you have trouble with PHC you can ask and hope for help here.
synonymy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Patch appears to do nothing

Post by synonymy » Tue 2. Dec 2008, 04:56

Following using the patch -p1 stuff, i get a response that it appears to be successful. after "make oldconfig" i get no options to answer yes to. make prepare and make scripts does not appear to do anything with cpufreq stuff. making the module is unsuccessful.
I think the problem is somewhere in the patching or the configuration. I was successful yesterday doing this with the 2.6.18, now trying the 2.6.26 with the 0.3.2. Any ideas?

make M=arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq

WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.26/Module.symvers
is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

scripts/Makefile.build:41: /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.26/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/Makefile: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.26/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/Makefile'. Stop.
make: *** [_module_arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq] Error 2

the-fallen
Administrator
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Patch appears to do nothing

Post by the-fallen » Wed 3. Dec 2008, 19:27

Please replace "i386" with "x86" and try again. They reordered some files and directories in the new Kernels.

synonymy

Post by synonymy » Wed 3. Dec 2008, 20:40

That appeared to do the trick, but i have no phc_controls..

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/
affected_cpus scaling_cur_freq
conservative/ scaling_driver
cpuinfo_max_freq scaling_governor
cpuinfo_min_freq scaling_max_freq
related_cpus scaling_min_freq
scaling_available_frequencies scaling_setspeed
scaling_available_governors stats/

During boot of course it failed at trying to set the voltages using the old method.

the-fallen
Administrator

Post by the-fallen » Wed 3. Dec 2008, 22:51

hmm, are you sure you loaded the new (patched) module during startup?
Is acpi-cpufreq loaded or the obsoleted speedstep-centrino ??

MAybe thats your problem (what is solveable) :)

synonymy

Post by synonymy » Wed 3. Dec 2008, 23:01

I did a rmmod speedstep_centrino and it said that it was not loaded
I then did a modprobe acpi_cpufreq and no echo or error

lsmod

acpi_cpufreq 6796 0

It should give those phc vid options just with the module loaded no?

the-fallen
Administrator

Post by the-fallen » Wed 3. Dec 2008, 23:23

Yes, it should give the SysFS - Interface files if the patched module is working.

Have no quick Idea yet and I need to sleep. Hope you'll find the problem ... if not I'll try to help tomorrow. Maybe you can double-check you really loaded the patched module, not the original one and check if dmesg gives some interesting output.

Good luck - I hope you will make it. :)

See ya tomorrow

synonymy

Post by synonymy » Fri 5. Dec 2008, 04:42

Could this be because I have a pentium m?

processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 13
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 2.13GHz
stepping : 8
cpu MHz : 798.000
cache size : 2048 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe nx up est tm2
bogomips : 1597.64

the-fallen
Administrator

Post by the-fallen » Fri 5. Dec 2008, 07:39

Technically acpi-cpufreq should work with pentium M cpu's as well but experiences shown that users often have troubles.

Alternatively you could try the speedstep-centrino patch what is somehow deprecated but working as well. Have a look to the test-releases thread.

synonymy

Post by synonymy » Sat 6. Dec 2008, 04:23

Patching fails - I am using the kernels that come with the distributions and this one is 2.6.26, that patch is for 2.6.27. Perhaps thats why. Thanks for all the suggestions though.

synonymy

Post by synonymy » Fri 19. Dec 2008, 00:12

What could be the reasons for not having the chance to add a "y" to any of the options, following patching, copying the .config then make oldconfig? It just blows through giving me no chance to answer to anything. When I did it under the 2.6.18 kernel I had this chance.

I am trying to just build the module here for the stock 2.6.26 kernel.

I can build speedstep-centrino modules, but there are no voltage options following a boot into that kernel.

Ideas?