invalid module format (64bit ubuntu 8.10 with 2.6.27-7)

If you have trouble with PHC you can ask and hope for help here.
easytool

invalid module format (64bit ubuntu 8.10 with 2.6.27-7)

Post by easytool » Sat 25. Oct 2008, 05:40

Hello,

After updating the acpi-cpufreq.ko, I rebooted my laptop, but a window pop-up saying "CPU frequency scaling failed". Then I try to load acpi_cpufreq by: sudo modprobe acpi_cpufreq, it gave me this error:

FATAL: Error inserting acpi_cpufreq (/lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko): Invalid module format

I followed every step in your installation guide, but have no idea why it failed on my computer.

My laptop is a Lenovo T400 with T9400 core 2 duo. Currently I am using Ubuntu 8.10 64bit (2.6.27-7)

Many Thanks!

the-fallen
Administrator

Re: invalid module format (64bit ubuntu 8.10 with 2.6.27-7)

Post by the-fallen » Sat 25. Oct 2008, 08:36

Hey easytool,

Welcome to PHC.

What you describe sounds well-known to me at least because you are using a pre-release of Ubuntu (I use the same version ;) ).

Are you sure you use the same kernel sources your kernel has been made with?
Especially in the pre-releases of Ubuntu they change small things in the kernel-image and then some days after they release the matching kernel-source package to the repo's.

This causes that you have a stock kernel different to the sources you have used to build the module.

Another reason can be that you build your module with a newer libc than your kernel has been build with. This also happens somewhen if you installed a kernel-image and a day later they update libc (or another needed library)

If you can not manage it to get all versions matching to each other you could try to build your own kernel from the Ubuntu sources.

There is nothing to do but installing sources, applying the patch and building the kernel. A good howto I do use too is here:
http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_ubuntu

This will build deb-files so you can easily install and uninstall them.

easytool

Post by easytool » Sat 25. Oct 2008, 09:39

Hello the-fallen,

thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it.

you are right, I constantly updating ubuntu (almost every few hours), this might be the reason why PHC failed on my laptop.

My laptop has serious heating problem and causes thermal shut-down when CPU is fully loaded. This bothers me alot and I believe undervolt is the only quick and neat way to work around the problem.

I will try to build the kernel, but it might take me some time.

If you don't mind and also using 64bit ubuntu, could you share your acpi-cpufreq.ko and post it here?

Thanks!

the-fallen
Administrator

Post by the-fallen » Sat 25. Oct 2008, 12:38

I hope PHC will help you reducing temperature.
I do not think my module will help you because I build my kernel from vanilla sources.
Compiling the kernel using the Howto shouldn't take very long. If you are new to this maybe 4-5 hours including compilation.

Feel free to write anytime you get trouble and please notice us if PHC is working on your CPU.

easytool

Post by easytool » Sat 25. Oct 2008, 21:27

thanks the-fallen,

I compiled my kernel and it works fine now, at lease my laptop dosen't crash anymore.

I decrease my core voltage from 10:43 to 10:30, temp droped from 100C to 80C. Much better than my 10$ thermal grease!

And if possible, could you also add easy thermal_zone and fan speed control interface in the future? Then PHC will become an ultimate tool!

You SAVED my laptop.

the-fallen
Administrator

Post by the-fallen » Sun 26. Oct 2008, 08:43

Hey great!

Good to hear you've made it.
But 80C is also way too high I think. Is that your "normal" working temperature or is it only if you push your CPU to 100% workload?

easytool

Post by easytool » Mon 27. Oct 2008, 02:07

Hey the-fallen,

my normal temperature is around 40C. During heavy load (100%), like while compiling kernel using both core, temp can go up to 70C, but when doing some scientific calculation, using intel's MKL (to keep the pipeline and cache always fully occupied), temp would go up to 100C.

This is why my laptop is pushed to make a thermal shut-down in linux. But in Vista, thermal shut-down never happened, and max temp I can get is around 86C without undervolting my processor. I don't know why linux is hotter than windows, maybe because it's more efficient, totally no idea why.

I can send you intel's linpack benchmark program to test how's your CPU doing if you are interested. (it's about 1MB, can't upload here)

the-fallen
Administrator

Post by the-fallen » Mon 27. Oct 2008, 07:35

Thanks, I will find that with google.
I use mprime to test my cpu but I will take a look at Intels tool.

The difference between Linux and windows could be that windows can put more hardware to a sleep state or is able to put your cpu in a sleep state longer than Linux can.
This could have many reasons include buggy hardware (fixed with a Windows-Driver) or incomplete Linux support. How ever, you can use Intels "PowerTop" to see what is keeping your CPU busy and prevent it from staying in a sleep state.

http://www.lesswatts.org