T9550 with Lubuntu 10.04 still hot

If you have trouble with PHC you can ask and hope for help here.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ummon
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

T9550 with Lubuntu 10.04 still hot

Post by Ummon » Sat 10. Jul 2010, 07:10

Hi
Quite new to Linux, still trying to get everything working. Installed PHC for my thinkpadR500 with an T9550 follwing the guide here and set the FIDs/VIDs manually to

74:30 10:24 8:6 6:4 134:4

via a line in the /etc/rc.local that changes the phc_vids to 30 24 6 4 4.

So far, everything went fine, still the system seemed to be quite hot compared to my windows partition - even when idling. So I tried to read the actual core voltages with the read_msr.py script from this site and got for <5% processor usage

[cpu0] [CURRENT] FID:10 HID:0 DID:0 VID:30
[cpu0] [TARGET] FID:6 HID:1 DID:0 VID:4
[cpu0] [HIGHEST] FID:10 (HID:0 DID:0) VID:38 (not sure if they exist here)
[cpu0] [LOWEST] FID:6 (HID:0 DID:0) VID:23 (not sure if they exist here)
[cpu0] [SLFM] FID:6 VID:15
[cpu0] [IDA] FID:10 VID:44
[cpu0] [CURRENTLY ACTIVE FEATURES] IDA:0 EIST:1

[cpu1] [CURRENT] FID:10 HID:0 DID:1 VID:30
[cpu1] [TARGET] FID:10 HID:0 DID:1 VID:30
[cpu1] [HIGHEST] FID:10 (HID:0 DID:1) VID:44 (not sure if they exist here)
[cpu1] [LOWEST] FID:6 (HID:0 DID:0) VID:23 (not sure if they exist here)
[cpu1] [SLFM] FID:6 VID:15
[cpu1] [IDA] FID:10 VID:44
[cpu1] [CURRENTLY ACTIVE FEATURES] IDA:0 EIST:1

Which doesn't tell me much, only that the system still seems to use the highest FID, although trying to get FID6 on one core. Would be very glad if someone with more knowledge of this could point me in the right direction whether this is a PHC or a Problem of Lubuntu itself. Thx !

the-fallen
Administrator
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: T9550 with Lubuntu 10.04 still hot

Post by the-fallen » Sat 10. Jul 2010, 08:40

Maybe your system does not load the cpufreq driver. Check the following on a terminal:

lsmod | grep phc
lsmod | grep acpi

for one of those commands there should be an output. Either something line "phc_intel" or "acpi_cpufreq".

If not, then the problem is simple. You can either install "cpufrequtils" or modify the file "/etc/modules"
an add a "phc_intel" on a new line.
(I recomment using cpufrequtils).

But if there is an output then it means for some reasons that the system prevent the cpu to clock down.
Is there any App/Widget on Lubuntu to display your current CPU-speeds? Have a look at them to be sure that your CPU does not clock down.

If there is no such tool you can also read the following file using "cat" on a terminal:

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq

(and for the second core:)
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq

It will print out the current frequency on a core.

If you do:

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq

you will see the minimum frequency this core can run on.

There may be several reasons why the cpu does not clock down. The simpliest could be that there is a governor selected that keeps the highest performance on your system.

Check

cat cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

is it "performance" than it means the governor tries to keep your system up to the peak. If it is "ondemand" it means that the system only clocks up if it need to (to do some work) and clock down after its finished. If it is "userspace" it means that YOU need to set the cpuspeed.

The "best" would be "ondemand" If there is something else please ask on a ubuntu forum why it is that way and how fir fix that permanently. You surely can manually select the governor very easy but you would need to do that each time the system boots.

Ummon

Post by Ummon » Sat 10. Jul 2010, 09:09

Hi the_fallen

Thank you very much for your quick reply. I tried your suggestions and could find out that I have running :
phc_intel and some thinkpad_acpi

The scaling_cur_freq revealed that the system in idle is working at 800Mhz, which is indeed the minimum frequency at an FID of 6.

So this leaves the question for me which one is right .. the scaling_cur_freq with FID6 or the read_msr.py script with FID10?

As the governor is 'ondemand' it really seems that the system is indeed behaving well at FID6 and the temperature sensors are just a bit off from the ones on the win partition, which does not seem very odd since I never saw two temperature measurement tools agreeing with each other.

is there perhaps a possibility to read the actual VID? If it is the one corresponding to FID6 then everything should be quite clear.

the-fallen
Administrator

Post by the-fallen » Sat 10. Jul 2010, 10:25

read_msr really reads the current VID from the CPU's register. It does not calculate them, it does not guess them, it only prints out what's stored "in the cpu" :)

How ever, it is possible that during the reading-process your has CPU stepped up. Just try it one or two times again. The reading of MSR data is not that hard so a CPU would normally stay in the lowest frequency... but in combination with other tasks it may decide that it is better to step up for a second...

Ummon

Post by Ummon » Sat 10. Jul 2010, 10:34

Hi

Already tried it several times before posting here - the only thing changing is that sometimes core0 has the target FID6 and sometimes core1. The rest stays identical, read_msr.py --readmsr disagrees with scaling_cur_freq :?

the-fallen
Administrator

Post by the-fallen » Mon 12. Jul 2010, 16:40

That'S strange.

I have no idea at the moment (had no time to think about) but want to let you know that I read your latest answer.

Do you set the (same) VIDs to all cores? You need to because this CPU does not support individual voltages and always takes the higher one.

Ummon

Post by Ummon » Fri 10. Sep 2010, 11:03

Had to change distribution from Ubuntu to Scientific Linux to get support and software from my university,, so I can no longer test this - sorry and thanks for your help. Perhaps this time it will run, will look into it tomorrow.
Ummon