New versions not working on pentium-M Sonoma CPU ?

If you have trouble with PHC you can ask and hope for help here.
coolos

New versions not working on pentium-M Sonoma CPU ?

Post by coolos » Sat 16. Aug 2008, 14:17

Hello,
I have a Pentium-M 740 'Sonoma' (= Dothan+FSB533) and the phc patch for speedstep-centrino (EDIT) works for me only for kernel 2.6.22 (undervolting is very useful, thank to all the membres of the project !).

But i can't make it work for 2.6.24. I compile the module acpi-cpufreq, i can load it, i have all the phc_* entries in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ but it says 'no device' when i try to read these entries.

Is there a way to get it working on my 'old' cpu with a 'recent' kernel ?
thanx !
Last edited by coolos on Sat 16. Aug 2008, 20:24, edited 2 times in total.

the-fallen
Administrator

Re: New versions not working on pentium-M Sonoma CPU ?

Post by the-fallen » Sat 16. Aug 2008, 17:41

The acpi-cpufreq - patches worked but those ones for 2.6.24 not?
Are you sure you used the acpi-cpufreq patches for 2.6.22, not the speedstep-centrino patches?

That would really be very strange ...
I couldn't imagine a reason why acpu-cpufreq should not work if they did with 2.6.22 .. I hope we can find a solution for you.

coolos

Post by coolos » Sat 16. Aug 2008, 20:23

i made a mistake : the phc patch works for me on the speedstep-centrino on kernel 2.6.22 (not the acpi-cpufreq as i said before : i edited ;) )

It seems that the only patch available now is for acpi-cpufreq, but it doesn't work on my cpu.

Is there anyone who managed to get phc working on a pentium-M (Dothan or Sonoma) with kernel 2.6.24 ?

the-fallen
Administrator

Post by the-fallen » Tue 19. Aug 2008, 14:30

As far as I know many people run acpi-cpufreq properly with a Pentium M , but the problem you described is well-known.
Unfortunately I need some developers with such a Processor to solve this problem.
I do not own one so it is impossible for me to check some things out I need to extend the patch to circumvent the issue that causes that problem.

Kurppa_

Post by Kurppa_ » Tue 9. Sep 2008, 17:40

the-fallen, I have a Pentium M 715 (Dothan) which complains about "No such device". I can't donate it to you, since it's not mine, but I am willing to use some time to help you develop a fix if you also have time. I am somewhat technical, but I have never done kernel module development. Just say what you need me to do to help you fix this. Maybe an ssh account to the laptop for starters? :-)

the-fallen
Administrator

Post by the-fallen » Thu 11. Sep 2008, 15:37

Thanks for the offer. The thing this project needs at most are some developers.
I just can do some basic things with kernel programming. And it is a thousand time harder to do so if you do not have the hardware you want to write something for.

Maybe you know a developer that wants to help us. This would help at most.

TheKaneB

Post by TheKaneB » Mon 15. Sep 2008, 18:46

Hi, I'm the one who developed the patch for speedstep-centrino... I still have a Pentium-M 740 Sonoma, and now I've found some spare time to help you (and other people) to find a solution...

I'll try to get the old patch working on the current kernel and eventually post a new version of the patch, but keep in mind that the speedstep-centrino module is deprecated since 2.6.23!!!

the-fallen
Administrator

Post by the-fallen » Wed 17. Sep 2008, 17:03

Hey Antonio, welcome back on duty :)

Think we should have a chat-meeting somewhen to discuss some things. I'm glad you're here :)

TheKaneB

Post by TheKaneB » Wed 17. Sep 2008, 21:25

Hi!!

Nice to see that the project is somehow alive! I'll send you my msn contact by private message...
I'll get my hands dirty very soon... I love code :D

coolos

Post by coolos » Fri 15. May 2009, 18:16

Hi,
I tried once again to get phc working on my Pentium-M 740, with no success :(

I use ubuntu 9.04 generic kernel( 2.6.28), which i recompiled to have acpi-cpufreq as a module.

I managed to compile phc-intel-0.3.2-5 for that kernel, i succesfully load it but....
cpufreq/phc_xxx files are present but not readable, it's the same pb as last year.

I'm stuck with 2.6.22 kernel and speedstep-centrino phc patch...