Turion ZM-84 Support?

If you have trouble with PHC you can ask and hope for help here.
Coaxmetal

Turion ZM-84 Support?

Post by Coaxmetal » Tue 6. Apr 2010, 02:18

So I have a HP TX2 piece of refuse. I hate this tablet and would like to smash it with a large, blunt, object: maybe I could have one of my students sit on. Unfortunately I have to wait until I get state side to dump this overheating poorly designed pita.

Anyways I also have a Sager M860ETU which I totally adore and is running like a champ. Both laptops have Ubuntu x64 9.10 running on them. Both have the PHC PPA kernel installed and their respective PHC modules installed.

The awesome M860ETU is working like a champ (Q9200 running at 10:33,9:29,6:27), however the dirt eating TX2 is meeting all my expectations for it (not working). The module seems to be installed but there is no 'phc_controls' file in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq. Here is my dmesg output so you can see the module being loaded:

Code: Select all

[   14.940056] phc-k8: Found 1 AMD Turion(tm) X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-84 processors (2 cpu cores) (version 2.20.00)
[   14.940194] phc-k8:    0 : pstate 0 (2300 MHz)
[   14.940199] phc-k8:    1 : pstate 1 (1150 MHz)
[   14.940203] phc-k8:    2 : pstate 2 (575 MHz)
I need PHC because this pathetic TX2 can't run stable in pstate 0. No fault of AMD: it simply overheats due to the insufficient HSF design from HP. I would like to stick the laptop in pstate 1 at all times. Did I mention I don't like the TX2? Never buying an HP product again.

Seriously though, any help is appreciated. I think the ZM-84 is supported (it is an older Turion Ultra) however I must have messed up the install somehow. On that note, here is my kernel version as well:

Code: Select all

**@loltx2:~$ uname -r
2.6.31-20-generic-phc
**@loltx2:~$ 

DavidG

Re: Turion ZM-84 Support?

Post by DavidG » Fri 9. Apr 2010, 21:26

Sorry, I still haven't had time to release a driver suitable to run on Phenom/Newer Turion CPU's... :(

Keep an eye on the beta download area, that is where I will release the first driver when it is suitable enough.

Coaxmetal

Re: Turion ZM-84 Support?

Post by Coaxmetal » Fri 16. Apr 2010, 01:37

DavidG wrote:Sorry, I still haven't had time to release a driver suitable to run on Phenom/Newer Turion CPU's... :(

Keep an eye on the beta download area, that is where I will release the first driver when it is suitable enough.
You give up the right to be sorry when you spend your free time developing for the open source community. Thanks for your time, I appreciate your work and my M860ETU is the better for it.

That being said it might be helpful to list what Turions are supported or not with the download. 'Newer Turions' is kinda vague. I assumed all the even numbers in the ZM and RM series were supported but the odd numbers, being newer, weren't (for example ZM-85 is newer than the ZM-86 and ZM-84 so it is not supported). I have a ZM-84 so I thought I would be OK.

Such a list would avoid future confusion :)