Help with Ubuntu 9.10 and C2D P8700

If you have trouble with PHC you can ask and hope for help here.
Godlike

Help with Ubuntu 9.10 and C2D P8700

Post by Godlike » Fri 30. Oct 2009, 16:30

I just upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 and wanted to install the phc patch. But these sentence from an other thread here in the forum made me curious:

"I recommend installing one of the meta packages (linux-generic-phc, linux-generic-pae-phc or linux-server-phc) and not the kernel package directly, so you can get kernel updates automatically."

What does it mean and what do I have to do in order to get linux-phc running? Could someone please give me a very short guide!

How can I find my voltages for an Intel Core2Duo P8700 the easiest way?

Thank you very much

the-fallen
Administrator

Re: Help with Ubuntu 9.10 and C2D P8700

Post by the-fallen » Fri 30. Oct 2009, 18:17

You possible found that posting in the "PHC Download" - Section named " PHC Ubuntu Kernel PPA"
or click here ??

There you should also find information about that. If not (I will chat that after sendig that reply) we will add that :)

Short:
with Ubuntu 9.10 you need to replace the default kernel because it has some drivers compiled in that we need to replace. The replacement kernel from the ppa has the same functionality like the default one but the drivers are compiled as module and therefore can be replaced.

If you add the PPA to the available package sources in synaptic you will have access to our modified kernels.

As you already read there are several packages. Some are named linux-generic-phc, linux-generic-pae-phc or linux-server-phc. This are so-called "meta-packages"

Synaptic will update them if there are new available. Because those meta-packages will always depend on the newest of your kernel releases you can make sure that you will get those newer versions if they are available. If you "just" install the current phc kernel available it will not be updated automagically.

Wich one you should use depends a bit on the target system you want to install them to.
linux-generic-pae is necessary if you NEED PAE in order to access full 4 Gigs of ram on a 32 Bit system (if you would need them you probably would already know that). The meta-package linux-phc-server is a kernel optimized for .. yes ... servers ;)
So the last one remaining, the linux-phc-generic should be what you normally need on a generic desktop system.

Then, after you installed the kernel and booted with it and if everything is fine, you should download the latest available package of phc. If you have a supported Intel CPU you need phc-intel, if you have AMD you need the phc-k8 package available in the download section.

There are howto's available that will guide you though that.
There are also howto's available that tell you how to find the best values for your system.

If you have further questions, just ask :)

Godlike

Post by Godlike » Fri 30. Oct 2009, 19:08

Thank you very much! Thats exactly what I was looking for.

I got a X200 with 4GB but Ubuntu 32-Bit because the flashplugin was buggy last time i tried 64Bit. So The PAE-Version would be the one to choose then?

the-fallen
Administrator

Post by the-fallen » Fri 30. Oct 2009, 22:40

Depends on your hardware. If you can access all your memory without PAE at the moment it is not neccesary. But I think it will not hurt if you chose the pae - kernel without the need of pae support.

andb

Post by andb » Sun 15. Nov 2009, 19:49

Did you manage to get this working? I also have a x200 and have been using 8.10 ubuntu with phc successfully. My processor never went over 47 degrees. I just installed 9.10, used the PPA.

Code: Select all

root@light:~# uname -a
Linux light 2.6.31-14-generic-pae-phc #48~phc2-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 27 13:35:25 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
But when logging in I get a warning:

Code: Select all

CPU frequency scaling unsupported
You will not be able to modify the frequency of your machine.  Your machine may be misconfigured or not have hardware support for CPU frequency scaling.
Running a few apps at a time can take the processor up over 60 degrees now. I dont mind dropping down to the generic kernel instead of pae if the pae kernel is buggy, but would prefer not to spend hours hacking to get this working again.

Thanks for any help or tips.

-- I hope this doesn't come across as thread hijacking - normally Id start a new one but since the OP has the same machine, processor and memory as I have adn will likely have the same issues that I have, it seemed appropriate. Forum admins, if its better to have this as a separate thread, please move.

lxp

Post by lxp » Mon 16. Nov 2009, 00:55

Have you installed the cpufrequtils package?

Just for completeness I quote the second update in the PPA thread:
UPDATE2: You should also install cpufrequtils for automatic loading of cpufreq modules on boot. Without cpufrequtils you have to manually load the correct cpufreq modules and set the ondemand governor after booting.

andb

Post by andb » Mon 16. Nov 2009, 01:45

Thanks, on step closer to success. I installed this cpufrequtils package and now cpufreq is working when I boot to the pae-phc kernel. I've add msr to /etc/modules and downloaded the latest stable phctools (v0.5.2-2).

phctools reports that
Throttling : not available
PHC extensions : missing

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/phc_vids, which was where I had previously set the VIDs manually under 8.10, does not exist on this new 9.10 install.

So as per the PHC Ubuntu Kernel PPA thread, I've installed the kernel from the PPA, and in step 3 installed the cpufrequtils package.
In step 2 it says to install linux-kernel-headers-generic-pae-phc, I don't have this package, so its not installed.

Have I missed an important step to be able to set the voltage values?

the-fallen
Administrator

Post by the-fallen » Mon 16. Nov 2009, 18:50

PHCTools is not longer maintained at the moment (I just do not have enough time to keep this software as good as aI wish to do).

To manually check if PHC is there take a look into

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq

if there are files starting with "phc_" then thats okay.

But since you told us that you do not have the headers installed I do not believe that you installed PHC.
You need the headers to compile the phc - module.
There have been some errors while making the phc module, haven't it?

Please check if you can install the headers. If you have any trouble you are very welcome to let us know.

lxp

Post by lxp » Mon 16. Nov 2009, 18:54

I am sorry, you're right there is no linux-kernel-headers-generic-pae-phc package. The correct name would be linux-headers-generic-pae-phc. I have also corrected this in the PPA thread.

Furthermore you also have to install phc yourself:
Differences to Jaunty PHC kernels

Instead like the Jaunty kernels, the Karmic doesn't include the phc modules, so you have to install the appropriate phc modules now yourself. This should be very easy with the offtree releases. (See Releases thread) Maybe there will also be some packages for phc-intel and phc-k8 in the future.

drinkypoo

Post by drinkypoo » Thu 4. Mar 2010, 16:42

I added the PPA and don't see any packages containing "phc" in their names, meta or otherwise.

What did I do wrong?