Launchpad/PPA kernel install trouble on Dell Latitude D620

If you have trouble with PHC you can ask and hope for help here.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ashcroft
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Launchpad/PPA kernel install trouble on Dell Latitude D620

Post by ashcroft » Sat 5. Sep 2009, 18:28

Hey there, folks!

I have successfully installed the latest kernel from Launchpad/PPA on my Dell Latitude D620.

Code: Select all

uname -ar
returns:
Linux user-ubuntu 2.6.28-15-generic #50~undervolt2-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 21 10:34:50 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
However,

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/phc_controls
returns:
No such file or directory
...instead of something like "16:49 14:45 12:36 10:29 8:21 6:16".

I have the latest BIOS installed, I double-checked that SpeedStep is enabled, I even tried a BIOS reset to defaults. Didn't help, though! Could somebody give me a hand, please?

Thanks in advance!
Richard

Smok Wawelski
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Launchpad/PPA kernel install trouble on Dell Latitude D620

Post by Smok Wawelski » Sat 5. Sep 2009, 22:20

Did you load the driver?

# modprobe acpi-cpufreq
You can install the package cpufrequtils to automate loading of the module:

# aptitude install cpufrequtils
and edit its configuration file, /etc/default/cpufrequtils, according to the comments.
Last edited by Smok Wawelski on Sun 6. Sep 2009, 00:25, edited 1 time in total.

ashcroft

Post by ashcroft » Sat 5. Sep 2009, 23:25

Thanks for your reply!
modprobe -l acpi*
returns
kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko
kernel/drivers/pci/hotplug/acpiphp.ko
kernel/drivers/pci/hotplug/acpiphp_ibm.ko
So I guess, the drivers are correctly loaded and I don't need to install cpufrequtils, right?

Smok Wawelski

Post by Smok Wawelski » Sun 6. Sep 2009, 00:24

ashcroft wrote:So I guess, the drivers are correctly loaded and I don't need to install cpufrequtils, right?
You should use lsmod to see what modules have been loaded into the kernel.

ashcroft

Post by ashcroft » Sat 12. Sep 2009, 18:48

Thanks, that helped! The installation of cpufrequtils did the job!