[SOLVED] can't reach lowest possible voltage on Pentium M

If you have trouble with PHC you can ask and hope for help here.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
rubenvb
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

[SOLVED] can't reach lowest possible voltage on Pentium M

Post by rubenvb » Wed 8. Jul 2009, 19:58

I'm running phc-intel and th undervolting is working (checked with read_msr and of course my temps are down :))

One question left though: under Windows and using RMClock, I could set the voltage of my Pentium M to .700 V for the lowest states (gave me a temperature drop of +- 5°C vs the stock .988V). When I enter that voltage in phc-intel, as in:
15:25 12:25 10:25 8:24 6:0
in the echo to pch_something file, read_msr reports conflicting things. According to the formula 0.700+x*.016 this should be OK and equal .700V. read_msr reports conflicting values:
Displaying data for CPU cpu0
/---------------------------------------
| Current VID: 0
| Current FID: 6
| Target VID: 0
| Target FID: 6
| Highest VID: 41
| Highest FID: 15
| Lowest VID: 18
| Lowest FID: 6
\---------------------------------------
as in: lowest (possible) VID is 18, bt current VID is 0..... Which is it really?
I know the 0 value should be possible as RMClock is able to set it in Windows
Last edited by rubenvb on Wed 8. Jul 2009, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.

the-fallen
Administrator
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: can't reach lowest possible voltage (i think) on Pentium M

Post by the-fallen » Wed 8. Jul 2009, 22:25

With your Pentium M it is indeed possible to set a VID lower than the lowest one reported by read_msr.
Read_msr reports the lowest VID it can find in the acpi tables. ACPI gets those data from the BIOS I think.

But is IS possible to set even lower ones (down to 700mV which should be VID 0) on a Centrino/Pentium M system.

rubenvb

Re: can't reach lowest possible voltage (i think) on Pentium M

Post by rubenvb » Wed 8. Jul 2009, 23:01

All right, makes sense... sucky HP BIOS then :D

Thanks!

the-fallen
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] can't reach lowest possible voltage on Pentium M

Post by the-fallen » Thu 9. Jul 2009, 18:27

Thats not because the BIOS is sucky :) The values it 'knows' are those suggested by Intel.