Trouble with final step of installation

If you have trouble with PHC you can ask and hope for help here.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Pan Tadeusz
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Trouble with final step of installation

Post by Pan Tadeusz » Tue 7. Jul 2009, 20:31

Hello,

im new to linux and i trying to install phc for some days now and it doesnt want to work for me.
First i tried to compile a kernel with the phc.patch, but that didnt work for me.

Currently im using Jauntry Ubuntu 9.04. I detected, that i can download the patch and install it without compiling a kernel. So i tried. I followed the included readme. I build the module phc-intel.ko and it was copied to this folder:

Code: Select all

/lib/modules/2.6.28-13-generic/extra
The final step in the readme is to unload the old acpi_cpufreq and load the new phc-intel. But how i do that and where i find this acpi_cpufreq i have to "unload"?

Hope someone can help me,

greets Pan

PS: sorry for my extraordinary english =) ...

the-fallen
Administrator
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Trouble with final step of installation

Post by the-fallen » Tue 7. Jul 2009, 20:39

Hey, to unload a module you have to run the following command as root or with sudo:

modprobe -r <module-name>

To unload the acpi-cpufreq module you have to type

modprobe -r acpi-cpufreq

If you use the offtree-package the "installer" should modify the system so that the new module loaded.

How ever, if you use Ubuntu 9.xx for example you need to use another kernel than the default one because the acpi-cpufreq module is compiled solid into the kernel and cannot be replaced.

If you need more help just ask :)

Pan Tadeusz

Post by Pan Tadeusz » Tue 7. Jul 2009, 21:04

Hey,

so just for my understanding. The offtree patch is for 8.10 and less good, for 9.04 i have to complie a kernel anyway? Is that right?
If so, which patch i have to take for patching the kernel, where can i get it?

And one question for compiling the kernel.

In the short installationguide step 4 there is that command:

fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-phc001 kernel-image kernel-headers
is that -phc001 the patch and building the new kernel the cpu-freq getting patched or i have to to that before?

Last question ist. I cant use this viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8 installation guide for jauntry, can i?

greets Pan

rubenvb

Post by rubenvb » Tue 7. Jul 2009, 22:22

If I may jump in...

The last step (fakeroot and so forth) compiles the kernel. This takes a while, so be sure you've got time. Ths is not the phc patching.

In Ubuntu 9.04, the acpi_cpufreq module is built in to the kernel, so it can't be unloaded and replaced by a patches phc module. For this reason, you have to recompile the Ubuntu kernel and make force acpi_cpufreq to be a module instead of built-in (this happens in make menuconfig).

After the compilation, install the new kernel and you will have two new choices in the GRUB boot menu (your freshly compiled kernel and the accompanying recovery mode boot option). You will then need to boot your version of the kernel and do:
(this assumes you've done
make prepare
make
sudo make install
in the directory where you extracted the patch files!!)

sudo modprobe -r acpi_cpfreq
sudo modprobe phc-intel (or phc-k8 or something for an amd cpu)

This should first unload the vanilla (unpatched) version of acpi_cpufreq and reload the patched module, this time named phc-intel

Pan Tadeusz

Post by Pan Tadeusz » Wed 8. Jul 2009, 09:52

Hey,

first thx for help, but i have a problem compiling the kernel.

when i type:

fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=2.6.30.1-phc001 kernel-image kernel-headers
i get an error:
/usr/bin/fakeroot: line 176: make-kpkg: command not found
so i used google, but this command seems to be right and used but not working for me.
So i reinstalled fakeroot, but still not working.

If i use make -kpkg instead, i get an error with some invalid options.
(this error i understand cause i guess "make" in that case it totaly wrong)

And last question for now. I'm running kernel-version 2.6.28.13 now but downloaded vanila kernel 2.6.30.1 for compiling. Can i do that or is it to "new"? Cause i have to use the configfile from the "older" kernel.

Greets Pan

the-fallen
Administrator

Post by the-fallen » Wed 8. Jul 2009, 22:28

You need the package "kernel-package" besides to "build-essentials".

Pan Tadeusz

Post by Pan Tadeusz » Wed 8. Jul 2009, 23:20

edit:

ok, that what i did:

1. Reinstalled Ubuntu cause of some mistakes with fonts and wine.
2. Installed all needed packages for compiling a kernel
could't find build-deb, used libncurse5-dev instead
3. downloaded the linux-source, it was 2.6.28
4. used this installation guide viewtopic.php?f=8&t=67
5. in step 4 i used this command

make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-phc001 kernel-image kernel-headers
so without fakeroot, cause i got an error.
6. I got 2 .deb packages i installed, kernel version was 2.6.28.9 (Kernel before 2.6.28.13)
7. Reboot and downloaded the patch, 0.3.2.6-offtree
8. Followed the readme (installationinstraction)
9. Downloaded the PHCTool, done like in 8.
10. Trying to unload the acpi_cpufreq i got an error, but

sudo modprobe phc-intel
worked fine.
11. Run the PHCTool,getting an error:

pan@julz:~/.phctool$ ./phctool.sh
Traceback (most recent call last):  File "./phctool.py", line 468, in <module>
    app=appgui()
  File "./phctool.py", line 102, in __init__
    self.ShowPHCVIDs()			##display current VIDs
  File "./phctool.py", line 283, in ShowPHCVIDs
    columns = self.data[cpu]['frequencies']					##define the amount of columns we'll use to display all data
KeyError: 'frequencies'
I read something about some phc files stores for example here:

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuX/cpufreq        X=0,1
but i cant find such fils on my system.

Second i have a second problem, the CPU not throttling. The Screenshot is before i restart and PHC was working and i could set the vid's. Now getting that error in 11.
Do i start with an other kernel, throttling works.

Edit2: and why i have to start msr manually?

sudo modprobe msr
Greets Pan

PS: sorry for that bad english in this post, bit tired now ubuntu today :/ and big thanx for helping me =)

the-fallen
Administrator

Post by the-fallen » Thu 9. Jul 2009, 18:42

Lot of confusing questions you asked :)

I do not know why fakeroot should not work for you.
Maybe you can post the error message next time you need to compile a new kernel.

After you loaded the kernel module with modprobe phc-intel you should type dmesg in a teminal.
This prints out the system log.
Take a look to the last lines that comes there. Can you recognize any error that may be a result of loading the module?

If not, look if those interface files are there and try to read from them.
If you are not sure if your phc-intel module is loaded you can check it with

lsmod | grep phc

This prints out all loaded modules and filters out anything that has "phc" in it.
Example output if the module is loaded:

fallen@beowulf:~/Desktop$ lsmod | grep phc
phc_intel              15248  0 
fallen@beowulf:~/Desktop$ 

The error you get with phctool could be because it can not read from those interface files.
If you can read from the interface files manually but phctool still prints out this error please tell me again.

The "msr" thing is because I did not programmed phctool to load the module automatically.
If there is a plugin for reading msr-values for PHCTool2 someday it will automatically load this module.

Last thing:
Whats the name of the theme you use for Firefox?

Pan Tadeusz

Post by Pan Tadeusz » Thu 9. Jul 2009, 19:13

Hey,

will try to work on this in some days again, now i have to concentrate on my exams first. Will be questioning next week again ;) .
The error i got using fakeroot was:

fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-phc001 kernel-image kernel-headers
fakeroot: error in line 176: command make-kpkg: command not found
But to answer ur question, ist called NASA Night Launch Theme for Firefoxm, get it here: https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/s ... ch&cat=all.

Greets Pan