PHC for Graphic Processing Units

Discuss about PHC here. For problems please use the PHC Help forum
psihodelia

PHC for Graphic Processing Units

Post by psihodelia » Thu 12. Feb 2009, 00:30

I would like to discuss any possibility of it. As I know, there is no official documentation on Nvidia/ATI GPUs. But about 80% people have Nvidia and ATI GPUs in their computers, 20% have Intel GPU as well:

So, if you have ever seen laptops with say GeForce8xxx/9xxx you can easily understand why it is so important to have the same features like PHC for GPUs. It is often happen that GPUs take much much more energy than CPUs, especially during active OpenGL operations (e.g. playing 3D games).

the-fallen
Administrator

Re: PHC for Graphic Processing Units

Post by the-fallen » Thu 12. Feb 2009, 13:35

You are right, GPUs using a lot of energy and there is some potential to save a bit of this energy.

Most GPUs and their drivers offer some features to save energy (data compression, power off calculation units, and so on). Activating those features can save some energy but somehow it is not very well published. You often have to cwawl the web and/or the man-page of the driver.

Undervolting / underclocking a GPU would be useful, too if you do not want to play a game but I do not have any clue how big the saving potential is.

How ever if there would be a high potential of energy saving we would need developers who creates the neccessary mechanism to do that.

But I can offer to open a new forum on this board to collect powersaving tunings for GPUs if there are some interests and people who want to write documentations.

tntprog

Post by tntprog » Tue 7. Apr 2009, 19:09

This project would be great!

I've got a Lenovo computer which has both Intel and ATI graphic cards, and I can double my battery life when I use the Intel card instead of ATI card!
So keeping the GPUs cool would be great to save a lot of power, I guess.

DavidG

Post by DavidG » Tue 7. Apr 2009, 20:41

tntprog wrote:This project would be great!

I've got a Lenovo computer which has both Intel and ATI graphic cards, and I can double my battery life when I use the Intel card instead of ATI card!
So keeping the GPUs cool would be great to save a lot of power, I guess.
At the moment, I can double my battery life by using the closed binary drivers from ATI instead of the open source ones for my ATI builtin GPU... :(

the-fallen
Administrator

Post by the-fallen » Tue 7. Apr 2009, 21:04

Also nvidia offers a lot of tweaks:

http://tutanhamon.com.ua/technovodstvo/ ... IX-driver/

Adapting speed to the workload, overclocking, etc..