Status of linux-PHC

Discuss about PHC here. For problems please use the PHC Help forum
tliketea

Status of linux-PHC

Post by tliketea » Wed 3. Apr 2013, 23:33

Howdy and hello everyone!

First and foremost I want to say, that I am a "longterm user" of linux-PHC and think this is a great and still very important project ...

Now, everything was good for me till a few months back, when I got a new laptop with an i3-2350M (Sandybridge). It's not so good anymore, because I think these processors are not supported by linux-PHC.

My question is: will it always be like this, i.e. because it's not technically possible to undervolt iCore CPUs anymore? If there's no technical reason, how can I support you guys to get things going again? :-)

Thanks + cheers,
T

lio

Re: Status of linux-PHC

Post by lio » Mon 29. Apr 2013, 12:21

tliketea wrote:My question is: will it always be like this, i.e. because it's not technically possible to undervolt iCore CPUs anymore?
As far as I know Intel removed the possibility to undervolt via software. (Or they hide it very well. ;-) ) If your BIOS doesn't have the option to set different voltages (e.g. offset), you have to live with it.

DavidG

Post by DavidG » Mon 29. Apr 2013, 13:56

AFAIK, you can't do it on the processor, only if we can actually access the Voltage Regulator Module (on the motherboard) We might be able to scale down the voltages... I'm afraid it won't be possible otherwise. (Unless there is some secret, hidden Intel feature that no-one has located yet...)
A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain -- R. Frost

Docet

Post by Docet » Wed 26. Jun 2013, 10:43

The same here, I spent some time on that, but seems no way to do that, up to now.

Cheers