New Ubuntu kernels with latest energy-saving patches in PPA?

Discuss about PHC here. For problems please use the PHC Help forum
evil

New Ubuntu kernels with latest energy-saving patches in PPA?

Post by evil » Sat 25. Feb 2012, 11:05

Hi,
do you know if there is any backport for Ubuntu 11.10 of the 3.3 kernels including several power consumption patches?
This topic is going on forever especially on Phoronix and seems that 3.3 kernels will finally correct the many regressions of the last couple of years.
If there is such backport to try in the current Ubuntu (which I am not sure of), could we have it also on PHC PPA?

lxp

Re: New Ubuntu kernels with latest energy-saving patches in

Post by lxp » Fri 9. Mar 2012, 02:56

We maybe could have such kernel in the PPA, if there is an "official" Ubuntu backport.
But I think, if it is not an "official" Ubuntu backport the build process may differ too much and it most likely would be too much work providing such a kernel in the PPA.
I think Ubuntu will provide a backport kernel for 12.04 sometime, but I don't think that this will ever happen before 12.10 release.
Nevertheless I won't stop anyone contributing to the Linux-PHC project. I could also provide my kernel build scripts, but I think they won't be much use for non-Ubuntu kernels because my scripts are trimmed for Ubuntu's kernel packaging and buildscripts.
I also hate this damn power regressions (one reaseon why I am still using 10.10 Maverick, 2.6.35), but I think we still have to life with them at least for a few months.

evil

Post by evil » Fri 9. Mar 2012, 20:18

lxp wrote:We maybe could have such kernel in the PPA, if there is an "official" Ubuntu backport.
But I think, if it is not an "official" Ubuntu backport the build process may differ too much and it most likely would be too much work providing such a kernel in the PPA.
I think Ubuntu will provide a backport kernel for 12.04 sometime, but I don't think that this will ever happen before 12.10 release.
Nevertheless I won't stop anyone contributing to the Linux-PHC project. I could also provide my kernel build scripts, but I think they won't be much use for non-Ubuntu kernels because my scripts are trimmed for Ubuntu's kernel packaging and buildscripts.
I also hate this damn power regressions (one reaseon why I am still using 10.10 Maverick, 2.6.35), but I think we still have to life with them at least for a few months.
i totally understand, i just thought i read about those backports for current ubuntu on phoronix, but i cannot find them, so i might be wrong.
and i am not sure all the power regression patches will be included in the coming ubuntu kernel...

jasmine

Post by jasmine » Fri 16. Mar 2012, 17:32

Just wondering.. pcie_aspm=force kernel parameter doesn't help at all for you, or doesn't help much?

evil

Post by evil » Fri 16. Mar 2012, 17:50

jasmine wrote:Just wondering.. pcie_aspm=force kernel parameter doesn't help at all for you, or doesn't help much?
i think i was not hugely affected (or at least i did not use the pc so much on battery to notice the transition from not-power-hungry kernels), but i can visibly see the difference against battery duration in windows (with the mentioned parameter enabled).