PHC packaging

Discuss about PHC here. For problems please use the PHC Help forum
aar3Angahqueiquibohc
Administrator

Re: PHC packaging

Post by aar3Angahqueiquibohc » Tue 13. Jan 2009, 16:11

tntprog wrote:Oooh that would be great!! :D
That would be an easiest way to undervolt CPUs, but less funny... I learned to compile kernels to have Linux PHC running ;)
use gentoo and you have to do that every time :-)
Life is sometimes just like a bad computer game, bad story but very nice graphics.

if you have questions meet me (DonGnom) (almost daily) in #linux-phc on irc.freenode.net.

DavidG

Post by DavidG » Tue 13. Jan 2009, 23:44

I just had a very interesting IM testing session with Colin, because I don't have Intel hardware to test on.
And a dkms based package could be well within reach! 8-)
There's was only one small problem I will need to find a way around. :-)

O BTW, Could everyone reading this verify if there is a "dkms" package installed/available for their Linux distro?
A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain -- R. Frost

aar3Angahqueiquibohc
Administrator

Post by aar3Angahqueiquibohc » Wed 14. Jan 2009, 09:07

on gentoo i cant find any dkms package or binary.

what does dkms do?

is it similar to autoconf?
Life is sometimes just like a bad computer game, bad story but very nice graphics.

if you have questions meet me (DonGnom) (almost daily) in #linux-phc on irc.freenode.net.

DavidG

Post by DavidG » Wed 14. Jan 2009, 12:35

There should be an ebuild for dkms.

Dkms is basically a high level kernel module make. It makes building custom modules *really* easy, it is used by for example the virtualbox kernel driver and for the binary ATI fglrx driver. Basically you just add a prepackaged driver (tarball, .deb, .rpm) and once it is installed it builds a module every time you run a new kernel. Initially you can start doing that by "sudo dkms build install -m <driver> -v <driverversion>" and you can use your driver instantly. No more kernel patching, manual (re)compiling, just install the dkms driver and dkms will take care of all that.

E.g.:

Code: Select all

sudo dkms ldtarball --archive phc-intel-0.3.2.dkms.tar.gz
sudo dkms build install -m phc-intel -v 0.3.2
sudo modprobe -r acpi-cpufreq; sudo modprobe phc-intel
And you're ready for some Linux-PHC action! 8-)
A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain -- R. Frost

aar3Angahqueiquibohc
Administrator

Post by aar3Angahqueiquibohc » Wed 14. Jan 2009, 12:45

Code: Select all

# eix dkms
No matches found.

eix dont find any dkms ebuild ...

maybe its in an overlay

DavidG

Post by DavidG » Thu 15. Jan 2009, 00:02

Apparently there is an ebuild available, it just has not been added to portage, according to: http://bugs.gentoo.org/100754

It's been available for almost 3.5 years, yet no-one with actual power at Gentoo has accepted it to go into Gentoo?! :cry:

aar3Angahqueiquibohc
Administrator

Post by aar3Angahqueiquibohc » Thu 15. Jan 2009, 09:55

DavidG wrote:It's been available for almost 3.5 years, yet no-one with actual power at Gentoo has accepted it to go into Gentoo?! :cry:
i think the devs say every body knows (or have to know) that he/she have to rebuild all his drivers on kernel updates so "we" don't need it.

i think we can build a ebuild without dkms support so that the gentoo guys have to rebuild it on a kernel update. thats usual progress on gentoo so i don't think somebody will cry if there is no dkms support on gentoo.

DavidG

Post by DavidG » Thu 15. Jan 2009, 10:46

K_O-Gnom wrote:I think the devs say every body knows (or have to know) that he/she have to rebuild all his drivers on kernel updates so "we" don't need it.
Offtopic: IMHO, it should be a matter of "serving your users in the best possible way". If someone wants to submit an ebuild that's complete and it does not harm anyone/any other package, then why stop them from doing so? The devs are not the only "devs"...

aar3Angahqueiquibohc
Administrator

Post by aar3Angahqueiquibohc » Thu 15. Jan 2009, 10:59

i know but what sould i do? ... thats the gentoo way ;-) ... a "normal" package wich builds and installs the module would be good for all gentoo users i think.

OT: why arent you @ the #phc-linux channel on freenode.net?

DavidG

Post by DavidG » Thu 15. Jan 2009, 13:40

K_O-Gnom wrote:i know but what sould i do? ... thats the gentoo way ;-)
Yeah, but I was still hoping to find out that is not like it was 5 years ago, when I stopped developing my own ebuilds... I'll just be shipping a Makefile along with the dkms version for the unfortunate.
Last edited by DavidG on Thu 15. Jan 2009, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: More on-topic