Intel D510MO (Pineview Atom, NM10 Chipset)

Discuss about PHC here. For problems please use the PHC Help forum
FieserKiller

Intel D510MO (Pineview Atom, NM10 Chipset)

Post by FieserKiller » Sun 10. Jan 2010, 18:54

Hi Forums,

I have a brand new intel D510MO board, containing a dual core atom. It consumes roughly 35W, with a 1.5TB sata hdd, 1G ram and an additional pci ethernet card on it.
I tried everything to lower power consumption already, (switched off everything in bios, no sound, no legacy interfaces, text console only.. sata+usb powersave modes, kernel laptop-mode, well, everything i could think of..) but never get that system under 30W, even wih sleeping harddisk.

The cpu is dual core with hyperthreading, the system sees 4 cpus on a fixed frequency, so acpi_cpufreq and phc_intel dont even load (Message: Error inserting ... Device or resource busy). I can set frequencies with p4_clockmod down till 208MHz, with no difference on power consumption, as that p4 clockmodulation is not really an underclocking.

So, is there _anything_ I can do to manipulate the clock and/or voltage programatically? eg. manipulate the fsb, undervolt that NM10 chipset or, well, anything to save power? this device is meant to become my NAS/router/homeserver and will by running 24/7, so any power consumption reduction will save money...
I'm not new to linux, have some c/c++/perl/pyhon/java/asm/c# knowledge and am able to poke myself in registers, trial&error style, but where to start? is there any documentation on this topic available? Is there any chance to get it done?

the-fallen
Administrator

Re: Intel D510MO (Pineview Atom, NM10 Chipset)

Post by the-fallen » Mon 11. Jan 2010, 18:26

What ATOM CPU is that in detail?

Some series allow speedstepping with EIST
( Enhanced Intel SpeedsTep )
others do that by modulating the BUS Frequency.

Those who support EIST *can* be undervolted with PHC, those that use the BUS frequency modification can not.

If you have a CPU that does not support EIST you may find ways to -at least- manually set the clock frequency by manipulating the bus frequency. If not you may want to know that the Core CPU does not waste a lot of power so you should think about alternatives to save power ( hdd spindown, powersave settings of USB, SATA, SoundCard (some support powersave or you can disable them), Graphics Card, etc).

FieserKiller

Post by FieserKiller » Tue 12. Jan 2010, 12:41

What ATOM CPU is that in detail?
An Intel® Atom™ Processor D510 (1M Cache, 1.66 GHz)
Here a link to this model's specifications: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=43098
Some series allow speedstepping with EIST
( Enhanced Intel SpeedsTep )
others do that by modulating the BUS Frequency.
Those who support EIST *can* be undervolted with PHC, those that use the BUS frequency modification can not.
This CPU does no frequency changing at all. Its fixed to 1.66Ghz.
BUT: The specification page upon states:
VID Voltage Range 0.800V-1.175V
o_O Why is it using a voltage range, when frequency is not changing - any idea anyone?
My CPU seems to run on 1.175V all the time, any idea how to change that to 0.8V?
If you have a CPU that does not support EIST you may find ways to -at least- manually set the clock frequency by manipulating the bus frequency.
That what I am trying to, but don't know where to start, Intels NM10 Chipset ist pretty new by now (Releasedate: 2010.01.04) and I can't find any good Documentation or Information yet.
Manipulationg the bus and -indirectly- a coupled cpu frequency would allow to manipulate a big portion of this systems power consumption (chipset~7W+cpu~13W max..), and should lead to great power saving potential, at least in theory...
Writing my own deamon to monitor cpu usage and increase cpu speed on demand will be the smallest problem to solve.
Here is the datasheet of Intels NM10 Chipset: http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/322896.pdf
The CPU seems to communicate with the chipset over DMI. Will google some infos about this DMI ;)
If not you may want to know that the Core CPU does not waste a lot of power so you should think about alternatives to save power ( hdd spindown, powersave settings of USB, SATA, SoundCard (some support powersave or you can disable them), Graphics Card, etc).
Well, I did already everything I could think of.. Sound, lagacyIO switched off in BIOS. USB, SATA, PCI powersave modes are enabled, kernel is in laptop mode, hdparm configured the drive to save power. Graphics card ist just uninitialised and uses some generic textmode-only VGA driver.
Power consumption is at exactly 30W now while the hdd is sleeping, I already ordered an Intel Z-u130 flash drive to run the system from so that the harddrive will be able to sleep most of the time. Additionaly, I bought 3 ATX PSUs from ebay and will check which of them is the most efficient one..
I suppose there is not much left of what can be done with this system to save power beyond hacking on the CPU and FSB frequencies ;)

Well folks, any tips and advices are still welcome, thanks in advance. =)

the-fallen
Administrator

Post by the-fallen » Tue 12. Jan 2010, 17:12

The voltage range is not meant to be used while the CPU is active. It defines the range of possible voltages for that design. Low voltages like 0.8V may only be used while the CPU is in an Sleep-State (idling), not while running.