Support for Intel Core 2 Duo SU processors

Discuss about PHC here. For problems please use the PHC Help forum
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
weeman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Support for Intel Core 2 Duo SU processors

Post by weeman » Fri 11. Sep 2009, 04:12

Hello,

Are there currently any plans to support Intel core 2 duo SU processors? I have a Sony Vaio TT with Intel Core 2 Duo SU9300 processor and would like to be able to use PHC.

I have tried the latest intel 0.3.2.7 build but haven't had any luck changing the VID. I have tried manually setting phc_vids but the changes don't take effect. The read_msr utility also shows strange results for min / max VID:

/---------------------------------------
| Current VID: 13
| Current FID[DID]: 8[1]
| Target VID: 10
| Target FID[DID]: 8[1]
| Highest VID: 17
| Highest FID[DID]: 6[0]
| Lowest VID: 15
| Lowest FID[DID]: 6[0]
\---------------------------------------

Displaying data for CPU cpu1
/---------------------------------------
| Current VID: 13
| Current FID[DID]: 8[1]
| Target VID: 10
| Target FID[DID]: 8[1]
| Highest VID: 17
| Highest FID[DID]: 6[0]
| Lowest VID: 15
| Lowest FID[DID]: 6[0]
\---------------------------------------

the-fallen
Administrator
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Support for Intel Core 2 Duo SU processors

Post by the-fallen » Tue 22. Sep 2009, 20:43

This kind of CPU should work - in my opinion.

The results of read_msr 0.2 are okay. It already displays the correct combination of FID and DID. This may look strange because we do not have an intel patch yet that is capable of setting them in that way.

The SU CPU is a low-voltage CPU, isn't it? You will not get a high drop of power consumption because the low-voltage and ultra-low-voltage CPUs are already optimized.

This does not mean that you can not get a little bit lower but the result won't be as noticeable as on a normal mobile CPU.

To check if you cna set other VIDs decrease the highest VID (the one for the highest possible frequency) by one, manually set the frequency and check again with read_msr.

Compare that with a read_msr output from the same frequency but without altering the VID.

tvale

Post by tvale » Tue 10. Nov 2009, 22:27

Hey.

I also acquired an SU, specifically the SU7300. I ran the linux-phc-optimize script to discover the lowest VIDs.
I ended up with 0 for both frequency steps. I'm not sure if it's working, since the processor isn't recognized by phctool.

Despite setting the VIDs 0 for the steps, read_msr.py --readmsr displays 13 for both.
I seem to recall reading here that the C2D don't allow VIDs below the default one used in the lowest step. So I guess it is working as expected?

the-fallen
Administrator

Post by the-fallen » Wed 11. Nov 2009, 17:37

I am pretty sure that the SU - Cores also have an hardware-programmed lowest VID. The automated script seems to to test if the currently tested VID is really applied.