a future forecast

Inform yourself about whats going on with PHC. [READONLY]
the-fallen
Administrator

a future forecast

Post by the-fallen » Tue 3. Feb 2009, 17:07

For those of you who are interested in what phc *might* look like in the future here are some forecasts.

Currently linux-PHC for Intel is a patch to an existing kernel module.
The new AMD module is designed to be build out of the kernel tree and creates a new kernel module.

In the nearby future linux-phc 0.4 (intel) is planned. The feature planned for this release is to be able to set new FIDs (Frequency IDs / Multipliers) within the range of the CPUs default min / max FID.
We are not sure if it is possible to extend the amount of FIDs but at least it should be possible to overwrite the default FIDs.
Also we want to alter the Intel patch to be build like the AMD module to prevent some trouble for non-advanced users and just to make the build process a bit easier.

We think about merging both modules in a far future and make it more independent to other modules.

We also still work on a new release of PHCTool that is designed for the current state of patches and to have some useful features.

DavidG

Re: a future forecast

Post by DavidG » Tue 3. Mar 2009, 18:31

Somehow this post never popped up to me as "new post".

I would like to see both modules be released as DKMS driver, as you know I already successfully ported the current modules to that, but I'm not sure it's as much an improvement to re-release the current drivers without further changes?

I will send you my work on this ASAP.

(Anyone interested: you can subscribe to this topic to be notified of any development here)
A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain -- R. Frost

the-fallen
Administrator

Post by the-fallen » Thu 12. Mar 2009, 07:52

Re-relasing shouldn't be that bad I think. If it makes it easier for users to install and uninstall it it is an improvement. No new version number but a new package..

But yesterday I was working on it as I noticed that Ubuntu (9.04) compiled the major cpu frequency driver into the kernel. No acpi-cpufreq, no powernow-k8 as module anymore. If they keep that till the release and/or if other distributions will do the same the users need to compile a new kernel....

I wonder if it is possible to deactivate the compiled function from a running kernel?
Or we need to build own modules that "just" modifies the FIDs / VIDs outside the cpufreq driver (if thats possible) .....

But there is the problem that my experiences soon come to an end. Need to lern more much about kernel programming. -> Need help.

DavidG

Post by DavidG » Mon 16. Mar 2009, 11:51

the-fallen wrote:But yesterday I was working on it as I noticed that Ubuntu (9.04) compiled the major cpu frequency driver into the kernel. No acpi-cpufreq, no powernow-k8 as module anymore. If they keep that till the release and/or if other distributions will do the same the users need to compile a new kernel....

I wonder if it is possible to deactivate the compiled function from a running kernel?
I don't think it is possible :(
the-fallen wrote:Or we need to build own modules that "just" modifies the FIDs / VIDs outside the cpufreq driver (if thats possible) .....
That is not an easy think to do (efficiently). It's really bad to compile these into the kernel, you'll either need powernow-k8 or acpi-cpufreq, never both. I really don't understand this decision. :(

Please complain at Ubuntu Launchpad, I will too...

the-fallen
Administrator

Post by the-fallen » Wed 18. Mar 2009, 14:09

the-fallen
Administrator

Post by the-fallen » Thu 15. Oct 2009, 10:51

We finally got some documents that tells us about the Bits in the registers in Intel CPUs.

Now in progress:
  • new Interface Definitions (Interface Version 0.5) will be defined. Those will apply to phc-k8 version 0.5 and phc-intel version 0.4
  • work towards version 0.4. This release will contain the ability to alter FIDs and add/remove them from list as well as handling the new Bits.
    This wil enable you to define own Frequency steps within the capabilities of your CPU.