geek question :P

Offtopic. Everything that does not belong to PHC or PHCTool.
Gillian00

geek question :P

Post by Gillian00 » Mon 15. Feb 2010, 14:09

Hi,

Even is PHC improves my temperature, (i've got 60° idle right now :( ) I'm afraid this won't be enough for hot days this summer. So I'm looking for smthg right now who could cool up my laptop!
I move a lot, so I don't want to have a big cooling table with me each time I need my laptop outside (and a laptop is made for it!)

so I thought about smthg but I don't know if it is possible: inside of my laptop (5920g) there is some place between the cover and the cpu/graphiccard/motherboard. I have with me a very small fan I used to cool my old 5700LE nvidia card a few years ago. It's cooling nice and it makes 0 noise. So why could'nt I put it as second fan ?? it's consumption is 0.12V so it won't be take a lot of my battery, isn't it ??

I would have already tried but as always, there is a "but".

I don't have any plug in for this fan! So I wonder if it would be possible to plug in with the actual laptop, by splitting the actual plug in in two. I hope you understand, I don't know the exact words in English. If yes there is still a problem: the actual fan has 3 pin and the "little mine" has only two.

Is it possible to find this kind of split/plug in ?? Or to create one ?? Or maybe to plug in on usb ??? Tell me what you think about

Or have you any other ideas ?

the-fallen
Administrator

Re: geek question :P

Post by the-fallen » Mon 15. Feb 2010, 17:55

Don't we all think about such things from time to time?

Next to modifying your hardware there are some other software tweaks you may also use in addition. Many graphic cards support power saving features as well as the harddrive (both are producing a lot of heat).

Depending on the Laptop you surely can install an additional fan if it can support the air flow. MAybe you cann build something to plug into the pcmcia slot or what ever.

The pwoblem with the energy is an other one. There are fas that work with 12 Volts, others with 5 Volts. But where you thate the power from really depends on the system. If you can take it from USB (5 Volts ) thats ok, if you need 12 Volts and want to take it from another fan
( Y-Cable ) it may harm the hardware because the speed controller may not be build to power two fans.

Gillian00

Post by Gillian00 » Mon 15. Feb 2010, 18:06

That's what I thought for Y-cable

So USB would be maybe possible... but how to create it ? don't you know some website which sells this kind of thing ? or some tutorial ??

For the software way, Everything isalready set up. I even modified my vbios to add an other ultra low frequence

Gillian00

Post by Gillian00 » Mon 15. Feb 2010, 18:07

do you think this kind of stuff really work???

http://cgi.befr.ebay.be/Copper-RAM-Heat ... 2694wt_932

Gillian00

Post by Gillian00 » Mon 15. Feb 2010, 18:27

after some research, I really am not the only one who wanna try this ^^

Like you said, the difference of voltage between usb and internal plugin may harm my laptop if I plug in a fan to a usb. Plus: there i no way to transform a cable to usb.

But exists a lot of y cable. But in this case, I have to buy a new fan with 3 pin. But you sayit can also harm my laptop ??

the-fallen
Administrator

Post by the-fallen » Mon 15. Feb 2010, 19:26

Yes it may harm the Laptop. IT does not mean that it WILL for sure but it may.

(next are just example values to explain what I mean):
Let's say the fan that is already build-in is specified to take 30mAmpere and the vendor designed the on-board voltage regulator for an output of maximum 50 mAmperes (to be on the save side) and now you connect a second fan to the same voltage regulator with an Y-cable.. it could easily take 60mAmperes overall and it will destroy the regulator.

I think the chance is small that you really overdrive the voltage regulator but you should keep that risk in mind.

I do not know a distributor for internal laptop cooling devices (but there are a lot of external ones) but you can build something for yourself.