Problem starting PCHTool

If you run into trouble with PHCTool you can ask for help here.
Gamiak

Problem starting PCHTool

Post by Gamiak » Sun 20. Jul 2008, 17:34

Hi Everyone,

I managed to install PHC on my computer and now I wanted to use the PHCTool to check which voltages are really used.
The PHCTool install-script went smoothly and I added myself to the new Usergroup for PHCTool. But everytime I try to start the tool (as normale user and as sudo) I get the following error message.

Code: Select all

sh phctool.sh
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:72: GtkWarning: could not open display
  warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
./phctool.py:88: Warning: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
  self.wTree=gtk.glade.XML(fname=gladefile, root=windowname)            ##get applets tree
./phctool.py:88: Warning: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
  self.wTree=gtk.glade.XML(fname=gladefile, root=windowname)            ##get applets tree
./phctool.py:88: GtkWarning: gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
./phctool.py:88: GtkWarning: gdk_pango_context_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
./phctool.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_font_description: assertion `context != NULL' failed
./phctool.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_base_dir: assertion `context != NULL' failed
./phctool.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_language: assertion `context != NULL' failed
./phctool.py:88: Warning: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
./phctool.py:88: GtkWarning: gdk_screen_get_display: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
./phctool.py:88: GtkWarning: gdk_keymap_get_for_display: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
./phctool.py:88: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/home/frank/phctool/subphctool.sh: line 9:  7592 Speicherzugriffsfehler  ./phctool.py $1
Can anyone help what I can do?

My system: OpenSUSE 11.0; KDE 3.5; Kernel 2.6.25.9-0.2-pae
My Linux-skills: basic :)

the-fallen
Administrator

Re: Problem starting PCHTool

Post by the-fallen » Sun 20. Jul 2008, 18:14

Hey,
and welcome to the PHC society ;)

The error messages you posted does not look like a PHCTool problem but a problem with Python and/or GTK.

I will try to find out what this may cause but I can not promise something.
Do you have problems with other programs, too? Or do you have changed something in your Python or GTK installation?

Edit:
I read your post again and saw that you are using KDE, right? I think thats the cause. I have written PHCTool for Gnome. But that isn ot really a problem for KDE-Users since they can also run Gnome apps. You'll just need some Gnome-libraries installed.
But I never have used KDE so I have no clue what you'll need exactly. Take a look at yast and seach for anything that may named like python-gtk , python-gnome , and so on. Maybe they are named different but it should be something with "python" and "gtk" and "gnome" in it.

I have (among others) the following python bindings installed (debian names):
python-glade
python-gnome2
python-gnome2-desktop
python-gnome2-extras
python-gobject
python-gtk2
python-sexy (don't know if you need that but it sounds nice :) )

I hope thats all you need.

Gamiak

Post by Gamiak » Sun 20. Jul 2008, 18:27

All other programs seem to work quite well (the system is only one week old and until now I only installed "standard" software).
Basically it's still the "out of the box" OpenSuse 11 system. The only thing I changed concerning GTK after getting the error message was to install another GTK package through Yast. There were several parts and programs with GTK in the title preinstalled (I think the main program is GTK2). So I installed GTK (probably version 1?) as well, but the error message was the same.

Thank you for having a look at my problem! If there's anything more you need to know, just ask :)

[edit] I just read your post. I'll change to my notebook again and try your suggestions. I'll keep you updated :)

[edit2] I installed several packages containing Phython, GTK, gnome but that doesn't seem to do the trick. I additionaly got...

Code: Select all

gnome-python-desktop
python-gnome
python-gnome-extras
python-gobject2
python-gtk
python-gtk-vnc
gython-gtkglext
python-gtksourceview
python-kde3
python sexy :)
python-wxGTK
gconf2
gtk
gtk-sharp2
gtk-xfce-engine
gtkglext
gtksourceview
gnome-common
gnome-desktop
gnome-python-desktop
libgnome
Likely that's way to much, but I didn't want to miss the important package :)
Too bad, it didn't fix the problem.

Is there another way to check which voltages are really used? I have the right ones in the phc_controls file, but I don't know if they are really used.

the-fallen
Administrator

Post by the-fallen » Sun 20. Jul 2008, 19:47

I'm sorry that it does not work.

Technically it is easy to read the current values. They are located in CPU registers that are accessable through MSR.
But you need some few code lines to extract the correct data from it and make it human-readable.

I'll write a quick program. Wait a minute.

Maybe you can ask in a forum for hints what packages you need in addition to let PHCTool run.
People using KDE should know something.

the-fallen
Administrator

Post by the-fallen » Sun 20. Jul 2008, 20:21

okay, completed :)

You can download "read_msr" from the download section in a second"

Gamiak

Post by Gamiak » Mon 21. Jul 2008, 18:44

Sorry for writing back so late, but I wasn't at home until now.

Thank you very much for providing this tool for me! It worked like a charm and it seems that the system is taking the VID and FID like I wanted :)

Now I just have to find a way to write those values to phc_vids on start-up ;) Unfortunately Suse seems to use different files for after-boot-operations than Ubuntu, but that's another problem :)

Thanks again for all your help!

the-fallen
Administrator

Post by the-fallen » Mon 21. Jul 2008, 21:01

Hey :)

I'm glad it is working for you.
It's bad that PHCTool does not work. I'll keep that problematic in mind.

If you write (or find) a (good) start script for SuSE you are welcome to post it here or send it to me so I can add it do the downloads.

This will help other people.

lui75

Post by lui75 » Tue 27. Oct 2009, 17:39

@GamiaK: I had the same problem with Kubuntu Karmic. I found it wasn't an issue of dependency-lack, but the lack of the running phc-intel module. To avoid this I added phc-intel in my /etc/modules to let it load at start-up.
And now everything works out fine! :D

amour1991

Post by amour1991 » Thu 5. May 2011, 06:03

i have the problem running the app i get the following message :

linux-po30:~/0.5.2-2/phctool # ./phctool.sh
/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning: could not open display
warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./phctool.py", line 468, in <module>
app=appgui()
File "./phctool.py", line 81, in __init__
self.cpuinfo=cpuinfo.cpuinfo() ##functions to gather CPU informations
File "inc/libs/cpuinfo.py", line 12, in __init__
self._get_acpi_cpus() ##get ACPI-supported CPUs
File "inc/libs/cpuinfo.py", line 43, in _get_acpi_cpus
self.data[cpunr]['acpi']['exist']=False
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'cpunr' referenced before assignment

Docet

Post by Docet » Wed 11. May 2011, 09:13

Why using such an old post? you can always open a new one...

Anyway it's a known issue, you can find how to fix it here:

http://www.linux-phc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=270

Cheers